Friday, April 29, 2005

Dim Blog As New ThoughtStream(me) : VS.NET and VSS: Adding a solution to VSS

Dim Blog As New ThoughtStream(me) : VS.NET and VSS: Adding a solution to VSS: "VS.NET and VSS: Adding a solution to VSS

In my previous post, I talked about how to make a copy of a VS.NET solution. However, I left off the details of the final step - adding the new solution back into VSS. This is probably the most basic process in working with VSS, but the details surrounding what happens behind the scenes can often leave a developer frustrated when they find that VSS did not organize the solution and projects in proper manner. In this post, I'll be discussing my experience with adding a solution to VSS in a manner that allows complete control over the finall VSS folder organization.

In my experience, I prefer to have my solution and project files organized in a single folder structure. I create a root level solution folder to contain my solution file, and each project would receive it's own subfolder in that root level solution folder. For example:

C:\...\MySolution
MySolution.sln
\MyProject1 MyProject1.vbproj
MyClass1.vb
etc.

Creating a folder structure like this, in VSS, is not a straightforward process, despite the quick and simple menu items that VS.NET provides, for integration with VSS.


Assumptions

This entry assumes that you are using Visual Studio.NET 2003, and Visual SourceSafe 6.0d; and are familiar with Visual Studio.NET's basic functionality, menu system, and Visual SourceSafe's UI and 'Working Folder' functionality."

No comments: